August 27, 2011

O'Meara kicks Tide past Petal 20-17

by Carey Meitzler

Petal--Dalton O'Meara kicked a 26 yard field goal with 4:08 to play to the tie the game and then won it as

time expired with a 29 yard field goal to propel Picayune past Petal by a score of 20-17 before an estimated

6,000 at Panther Stadium.

Petal started with a bang as Dandy Dozen quarterback selection Anthony Alford raced 66 yards from his 31

to  the Tide's 7 yard line on the first play from scrimmage.   But, the Panthers failed  to get any points when they

missed a field goal.

After Picayune's first possession resulted in a punt, Petal took over at their 30 and marched to the Picayune 13.

The Tide defense held their ground at that point and the Panthers had to settle for a 29 yard field from Tristian

Reynolds with 4:49 left in the first quarter giving Petal a 3-0 lead.

After an exchange of punts, Picayune took over at its own 47.  The Maroon Tide marched 53 yards in 6 plays

to take the lead on Desmond Taylor's 24 yard touchdown run with 10:00 left in the second quarter.  O'Meara

kicked the extra point giving Picayune a 7-3 lead.

Petal missed a 43 yard field goal on their next possession giving Picayune the ball at the Tide 20.

Facing third down at his 40,  Ben Hickman's pass bounced off the hands of a Tide receiver and into the

hands of a Petal defender who returned the interception to the Tide 9 yard line. After the Tide was penalized

twice for offsides that put the ball at the Picayune 2 yard line,  Alford scored on the next snap for a 9-7 lead. 

The extra point was ruled wide left and Petal's lead was 9-7 with 3:32 left.

Picayune came storming back on their next possession starting at their own 20 after Reynolds' touchback

on the kickoff.   Dereonte Magee got 23 yards on first down and Preston Dedeaux ran for 6 yards to put the

ball at the Tide 49.  Desmond Taylor bulled his way right up the middle of the field breaking 4 tackles as he

pushed the ball to the Panther 25.  Dedeaux slashed his way to the 3 on the next play and then Magee scored

off the right edge following Taylor's block into the endzone with 2:02 left on the clock.  O'Meara kicked the

point after for a 14-9 lead.

Petal regained the lead on their first possession of the third quarter when the Panthers got the ball on their

16 after the Maroon Tide had to punt the ball away.  The Panthers covered the 84 yards in 12 plays with

Alford going in from 6 yards out with 2:10 left in the quarter.  Reynolds converted the extra point for a 17-14


After an exchange of punts, Picayune started at their own 20.  On second down, Ben Hickman connected with

Ken Breland on a 53 yard pass to move the ball to the Panther 30.  Three plays later, wingback Jonathan Baker

raced 16 yards around left end on a crucial third down to set up the Tide at the 12.  Picayune had to settle for

an O'Meara 26 yard field with 4:08 left in the game.

Picayune got the ball back on the second play after the ensuing kickoff when Cody Smith stripped Alford of

the ball at the Petal 46.  However, a holding call and subsequent illegal procedure forced the Tide to punt the

ball back to the Panthers.  Hickman's punt was downed at the Petal 10 yard line with 1:24 left.

On second down, Alford was flushed out of the pocket to his left and attempted a pass down field that was

intercepted by Breland at the 40 yard line and he returned the ball to the Petal 17 with :36 left on the clock.

On first down, Magee ran for one yard to the 16 and Picayune called the second of their three timeouts.

On second down, Magee ran to his right for five yards setting the ball near the middle of the field and

Picayune used their last time out with :05 left  to setup the game-winning kick by O'Meara.

Magee finished with 106 yards on 22 carries while Dedeaux tallied 95 yards on 14 attempts.  Taylor

had 62 yards on 8 rushes.

Picayune (2-0) will travel to Forrest County AHS on Friday in Brooklyn with kickoff scheduled for 7:30pm.

Petal (1-1) will be on the road at Madison Central.