October 21, 2011

Picayune holds off East Central 19-17

by Carey Meitzler

Picayune--Picayune clinched a playoff berth and moved a step closer to claiming the Region 4-5A title with a 19-17 win over

the East Central Hornets in front of a small crowd on a beautiful, clear evening for football at Tide Stadium.

East Central took the opening kickoff and drove from their 8 yard line to the Tide 20 where they faced a 4th down and one yard

to go.  Picayune's defense stuffed the Hornets and took over at the 20.

The Maroon Tide marched the 80 yards in 11 plays with sophomore Preston Dedeaux slashing in from 23 yards out for the

touchdown.  Tyler Mark's extra point attempt was wide left giving Picayune a 6-0 lead with 11:51 left in the second quarter.

All Photos by John Young

Preston Dedeaux stretches across the goal line for the Maroon Tide's first touchdown.

The Hornets came right back and marched 75 yards in 8 plays with the touchdown coming on a 8 yard run by Antwon Wells.

The point after was good by Andrew Canterbury giving East Central a 7-6 lead with 7:18 left in the quarter.

After Picayune had to punt the ball away on their next possession, East Central got great field position starting at the 50 yard line.

The Hornets drove to the Picayune 18 yard line, but missed a 35 yard field goal.

Picayune took over with 1:51 left at their 20 yard line.  After two incomplete passes, Dereonte Magee ran for 9 yards and then

quarterback Ben Hickman converted the fourth and one yard to go on a quarterback sneak gaining 5 yards.  On the next play,

Hickman hit Nolan Fletcher in stride at the Hornet 45 yard line and Fletcher sprinted untouched for a 66 yard touchdown catch

and run with :51 left putting the Maroon Tide up 12-7.  Picayune attempted a two-point conversion, but Daveon Greene came up

just short on a rush attempt.

All Photos by John Young


Ben Hickman cocks his arm and throws downfield to Nolan Fletcher (below).

Nolan Fletcher (6) races untouched for a 66 yard touchdown pass from Ben Hickman (above).

Picayune extended the lead on the third snap of the third quarter when junior fullback Desmond Taylor raced up the middle on

his way to a 65 yard touchdown run.  Dalton O'Meara kicked the extra point to give Picayune a 19-7 lead with 10:50 left in

the third quarter.

East Central scored on their first possession of the second half on a 54 touchdown pass from Justin Plummer to Easton Marshall

with 8:31 left in the third quarter.  Canterbury converted the extra point to make it 19-14.

After Picayune was forced to punt the ball away on their next set of downs, East Central drove from their 28 to the Maroon Tide

5 yard line settling for 22 yard field goal by Canterbury cutting the lead to 19-17 with 2:43 left in the third quarter.

Picayune took over at their 22 and drove the ball to the East Central 26, but a fourth down pass was dropped giving the ball

back to the Hornets with 9:11 left.  The Maroon Tide defense forced East Central to punt the ball away after a three and out.

All Photos by John Young

Preston Dedeaux races down the Tide sideline for 23 yards on his first carry of the game in the first quarter.

Picayune drove from their 43 to the Hornet 11 yard line, but a fumble on the quarterback/center exchange gave the ball back

to the Hornets with 3:12 left.   East Central was facing 4th and 7 yards to go at their 13 yard line with only one timeout left.

The Hornets decided to punt the ball away and Picayune simply snapped it three times, took a knee, and gained the win.

Dereonte Magee finished the game with 113 yards on 20 runs which give him 1,094 yards on the season.  Dedeaux had 5 runs

for 76 yards and Taylor finished with 79 yards on 5 carries.

Next week, Picayune (6-2, 4-1) will travel to Long Beach to take on the Bearcats in what could be the game that will decide

who is the Region champion.