September 2, 2011

Picayune holds off FCAHS 17-9

by Carey Meitzler

Brooklyn-Picayune won their third road game in as many weeks with a 17-9 victory over Forrest

Agricultural High School (FCAHS) behind another solid defensive effort and ball-control offense.

With Tropical Storm Lee slowly moving into the south Mississippi area, the Tide had to deal with a

storm of a different nature.  FCAHS recovered an onside kick at the Tide 38 to start the game.  The

Aggies converted a first down and moved the ball to the 22 where they faced 4th down and five.

Picayune's Ken Breland intercepted an Aggie pass at his 5 and returned the ball to the 23 to reverse

the momentum.

Picayune converted two first downs and moved the ball to the FCAHS 49. On second down, junior

quarterback Ben Hickman threw a perfect strike to Ken Breland who caught the ball in stride at the

FCAHS 25 and raced in for the touchdown.  The drive covered 77 yards in 8 plays using 4:22 off the

clock.  Dalton O'Meara kicked the extra point to make it 7-0 with 4:15 left.

FCAHS' next possession ended with another turnover when Picayune's Dalvin Acker intercepted a

FCAHS pass in the end zone with  :19 left in the quarter.

Picayune got points on their second possession moving from their 20 to the Aggie 13 where the drive

stalled.  Dalton O'Meara drilled a 30 yard field goal to make it 10-0 with 5:29 left in the second quarter. 

The drive was 14 plays covering the 67 yards using 5:50 of the clock.

After the ensuing kickoff, FCAHS set up shop at their 22 and moved the ball to the Tide 45.  On fourth

down, Ken Breland tipped away a FCAHS at the Tide 15 to end the Aggie threat with :43 left.

Picayune moved the ball to the Aggie 35 aided by a pass interference call against FCAHS.  With :06 left,

FCAHS' Tomaz McCarty intercepted Hickman's pass at the Aggie 20 and raced down the sideline before

being forced out of bounds at the Tide 20 on a touchdown saving tackle by Picayune's Justin Mark that

ended the half.

On the first possession of the second half, FCAHS turned the ball over on downs at their own 39.

Picayune drove the 39 yards in 8 plays with Dereonte Magee scoring on a 5 yard run with 6:50 left in

the third quarter.  O'Meara's point after made it 17-0.

Picayune surrendered a safety on their next possession when the officials ruled Ben Hickman's knee

touched the ground as he fielded a low snap on an attempted punt from the Tide end zone with 1:57

left in the third quarter putting the score at 17-2.

After the Tide free kick,  FCAHS took over at their 49 and drove the 51 yards in 11 plays scoring on

Clarence Atkinson's 4 yard run.  Grant McLaurin kicked the point after making it 17-9 with 8:24 left

in the game.

After the FCAHS' kick off, Picayune started at their own 26 with 8:14 left on the clock.  The Tide

kept the ball the rest of the game running 13 plays before taking a knee on two plays to run out the

clock at the Aggie 13 as time expired.

Magee paced the Tide offense with 94 yards on 19 carries. 

Defensively, Cody Smith, Chad Mitchell, Doug Cross, and Semaj Branch led the way for the Tide.

Picayune (3-0) will have an open date before hosting Ocean Springs (3-0) on September 16th on

what shapes up as a clash between two of the better teams in south Mississippi.

Ocean Springs will also have an open date as they have defeated Gautier 13-0, Pascagoula 31-27,

and Moss Point 49-8 in their first three games.